I have no bucket list for life and no resolutions for every new year that comes by. That is not to say that I don’t have wishes and just go about in the humdrum of life. I still believe in getting the most out of my time. In fact, sometimes I will wring the life out of some weekends with one event after the other!
But, something hit me and last year and made me stop and think. Did keeping one crazy busy suffice for one’s happiness?
To figure this out, I made myself think consciously about what makes me happy. I asked myself — what is stopping me — life is to be happy, that is one’s goal and purpose in life, and decided that I am going to do anything and everything possible to make it so. Once you start thinking about this, you need to make time for and take steps towards doing these things that bring you joy. I guess it was a good thing, as it resulted in this
1) started running (a task I previously thought impossible, I did not run a marathon or even a half marathon but I started running)
2) joined a meditation group (this gives me immense peace and happiness, thank you Eve!)
3) went zip lining (this was something I had wanted to do forever, thought it was easy, went to do it and encountered my intense fear of heights, almost cried and wouldn’t do it and then had a ton of fun doing it)
4) tried surf boarding (this looked interesting and I wanted to give it a try)
5) read more books (this is a thing that makes me happy so it is an indulgence)
6) tried many new recipes (i just like trying new things, so this is fun)
7) did a photography class (just because)
8) started writing this blog (big, big step and it feels awesome!)
9) fell in love again 🙂 (we’re close to 7 years of marriage now, so here’s to defeating the 7 year itch!)
There are so many more things that happen in a year, many that make one happy and those that can count as accomplishments. But, this is not a post to talk about ‘2012 in review’. It is more to recount the small steps I might have taken knowingly, to grab my pieces of happiness.
I am happy with the way this year turned out and am excited to see what 2013 brings!